Ao no Exorcist 01 - Demons Live in the Human Heart Review


Well what do you know, a protagonist who has a constantly gets fired in his part-time jobs, often gets into fights and lastly, has a name that sounds like a girl's name. The standard traits of a regular shonen anime hero. In this first episode, we met his opposite, his younger brother, their guardian which is a priest-slash-exorcist (Yes, the Church has those guys, heck it even has its own department!) and blue flames. Hey, that is why this show is called Blue Exorcist in the first place!


The series had a slow start after the scene in which the priest was engulfed in blue flames which left quite a good impression on me, animation-wise. As for what’s happening the entire episode, it talks about Rin's regular life as a 15 year old not attending school in which he spends his time either inside the convent or outside working for some job (which he later gets fired at) or fights some random thugs (who are doing something mean).

I find this premise weird at the same time interesting since this kind of scenario rarely happens on shonen anime. The last shonen anime that I remembered that started on this was Flame of Recca and Yu Yu Hakusho.


First impressions on the characters, Rin is interesting. Even if he looks like someone you should avoid once you meet him in a street corner but he had the opposite attitude. He is kind, helpful and tries his best to help others even if he ends up being fired in his job. His younger brother, Yukio is his complete opposite, a perfect son I might add. Never left quite a mark on me. As for their guradian, the priest (forgot his name, and Wikipedia is failing at me at this moment) best role model ever. Nuff said.

Like I said earlier, this shonen anime reminded me a bit of Flame of Recca due to how it started, it is also the case on how it ended when they finally revealed the central plot of this series and saw some badass priest action. The revelation about the protagonist being related to the devil (take a guess who is this devil) felt a bit cliched but if it works for the plot, I will just let it pass. Also that katana that the priest has been keeping sealed still interest me at this moment.


Overall, it was a slow first episode but the later twist at the near end of the episode (also the priest having his own crowning moment of awesome) keeps me glued in my computer monitor and giving me the desire to watch the next episode, which I will do once I am done watching Deadman Wonderland.