Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger 18 – The Big Rampage With the Dinosaur Robot Drill

OH SNAPPPP!

In this episode, we learned why Gai has a Ranger Key and a Gokai Cellular and how he ended up becoming GokaiSilver. Also, it seems that Marvelous can’t accept Gai as of the moment and so, Gai starts to think a way on how to be accepted by the pirates. Oh, and there is this GouJyuJin debut…


Gai’s origin story is somewhat mind boggling in a sense that three of the most well-known “Sixth” Rangers whose reputation involves being a jerk towards the core team before joining the team, less TimeFire and AbareKiller which took them more than episodes to be part of the actual team according to Wikipedia and TVTropes. Who decided to give their Grand Powers to a guy who just saved a little girl from dying and got a chance to give her the flower she likes to pick. That alone really blew my brain, but if you look it in a much more deeper perspective, the three of them had one thing in common asides from dinosaur related mecha and that is the they did a heroic sacrifice before dying. Now it makes proper sense.

If there is one thing that I am disappointed in Gai’s origin story is that only Mikoto appeared out of suit while as for Burai and Naoto they retained inside the suit and never had speaking roles. I can understand Burai’s case since he died in the year 1993 but as for Naoto; accordingly, he didn’t age a bit but seeing it in a more deeper perspective, it would look a bit awkward seeing Dragon Ranger to be the only hero inside the suit while Naoto and Mikoto are talking to the new guy outside of suit.


Back at Mikoto, I love that he did some references to Abaranger especially the crazy part in which the first thing that comes to my mind is good ol’ Ryoga. Also, him referencing about excitement cause me to remember that I need to finish Abaranger so that I can watch him alleviate his boredom by fighting guys who constantly hangs out in a Curry House. Now back to Gai, I just love how he geeked out when he was visited by the ghost of the three heroes while he is in a limbo! Also, I love the scene in which he really geeked out when he was inside the Galleon and saw the Ranger Keys.

One thing I noticed in this episode is that Marvelous actually cares for Gai being involved with them since once he becomes a space pirate, his enemy will be the entire universe. This reminds me the fact that the Zangyack has control of the entire universe… and the emperor has decided to send his idiotic son to conquer earth, which cause me to forget their competence as the enemies in this season due to Oiles constant failures. Another thing that was brought up in this episode is that each Gokaiger contributed something, which cause me to think, what this Ahim contributed to the team?


Back at Gai, I love his out of suit fight and his determination to become a Gokaiger. More on the out of suit fight, I should give props to Junya Ikeda, Gai’s actor on how he did his stunts in his fight scenes. I mean seriously, I watched his fight for like 2 to 3 times and I didn’t notice a stunt man replacing him. As for the later part of the episode, the scene in which Marvelous accepted Gai was quite touching since Marvelous saw that Gai actually has the pirate swag that each member of the team had. For the final part of the episode, is it me, or they just love using the Shinkenger Ranger Keys and I love the kanji joke! Guess the writers decided to use the ShinkenKing joke!

To the GouJyuJin, to sum up my thoughts about it, it is the most sexiest mecha I have ever scene that has something to do with drills. I mean seriously, it came from the year 3000, it is a giant robot drill at first THEN it can transform into a T-Rex that breaths fire and has drill for a tail and lastly, transforms into a giant robot with each part of the body being based by the past dinosaur related mecha. Namely, the head looks like DaiZyuJin, the body is definitely based from AbarenOh and based on the picture I saw, the legs was based from the Q-Rex. As for the finisher, it is awesome. Period.


Overall, it was a really great episode and really wraps up GokaiSilver’s arc quite neatly. Sure the arc was short but it really gave us everything we need to know about Gai Ikari, namely, he is a Sentai fanboy, he came back to life (based on the reaction of the nurse) after receiving his changer from three dead Rangers and lastly, he wants to crush Zangyack once and for all. Oh, and he like to address Doc in his real name! And Doc is not happy about it.